At a glance:
- The provision of timely and actionable information to end-users is paramount to promote sustainable development in the agricultural sector. The use of targeted communication channels and-or approaches can play a key role in addressing current gaps in delivery of information and favouring a smooth delivery of extension services to farmers.
- Farmers’ priorities and farmers’ information needs should be considered in order to provide targeted extension services.
- Adequate ICT infrastructures should be provided and the National Information and Communication Technology policy reviewed to accommodate recent technology developments.
- Private public partnerships, together with public leadership and investment in coordinating players is pivotal in promoting business innovation platforms for learning and sharing.
- A stream of investments in people, research and infrastructures is needed to ensure a functional development of the extension system.